Piano Accompanist for Allegra Singers choir
The Allegra Singers is seeking a qualified pianist to accompany the choir during rehearsals and performances, to start September 2017.
June 2017 - Thank you to all applicants. This position has been filled.
About our choir
Allegra Singers is a 50-member non-auditioned, non-profit community choir. We perform a wide variety of music - from classical to jazz, gospel to musical theatre, world music to pop, folk, rock and more. Our goal is to enjoy our music, improve our skills, entertain and touch our audiences and have fun in the process. As a non-profit group, we are dedicated to contributing to other local charities.
When we meet
We meet on Monday evenings from 6:45 to 9:00 PM at Shoreline Middle School. Our fall season begins on the first Monday following Labour Day in September, with two concerts on the first weekend in December. Our spring season begins on the first Monday following New Year's Day in January, with two concerts on the first weekend in May.
Each season culminates in a 2-concert series: an 8:00 PM Friday concert and a 2:00 PM Saturday concert, with a 2-hour rehearsal immediately prior to the concert. The concerts are performed at Garth Homer Centre.
In order to provide the high standard of service we are seeking, you must:
- Be available during the rehearsal and performance times listed above
- Have experience and competence in accompanying a choir
- Possess excellent sight-reading skills
- Have the ability to read choral octavos in traditional SATB formats
- Be an excellent piano performer, and be comfortable in many musical genres
- Be able to follow the conducting gesture musically and accurately
- Experience singing in a vocal group is recommended
- Bachelor's degree in Music is preferred
As the accompanist for the choir, you are responsible for:
- Punctually attending all rehearsals on Monday nights from September to May, plus Friday evening and Saturday afternoon concerts twice per year
- Being well prepared for rehearsals and concerts to support our choir with accurate and sensitive playing
- Accompanying the choir on piano for a variety of choral pieces
- Sight-reading moderate music during rehearsals
- You may occasionally be asked to stand in for the music director at rehearsals.
The Accompanist will be paid an hourly honorarium, the amount of which shall be determined annually by the Directors.
How to apply
Please submit a resume and references to Juli Funfer, Co-President at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Short-listed candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview and audition. At the audition, candidates are asked to play a prepared piece and to sight-read a choral octavo of our choice.
For more information about the Allegra Singers, please visit http://www.allegrasingers.com